Vastu Shastra is the ancient science of architecture and construction which originated in the Indian Subcontinent. According to Hindu custom, Vastu is balance various energies such as solar, lunar and cosmic. According to Vastu, these energies can be harnessed to enhance peace, prosperity and success. The principles of Vastu are based upon sustainability and designed to be in harmony with nature. Literally speaking, Vastu-Shastra is the 'science of dwelling'.
Our Vastu compliant house designs can be viewed here..
The Five Elements:
1. Earth (Hindi: Bhumi or Prithivi): The location of this element is southwest, which is considered as the best location for master bedroom. The residents in this location have the maximum impact on all the members of a household.
2. Water (Hindi: Jal, Paani): Location of this element is Northeast. Place indoor and outdoor water features such as aquariums, swimming pool and water fountains in this direction. According to Vastu, leaving this direction unbalanced results in loosing God's grace.
3. Air (Hindi: Vayu, Hawa): Location of this element is Northwest. As per Vastu, loss in business could occur if this direction is left unbalanced.
4. Fire(Hindi: Agni):(Agni) Location of this element is in Southeast area. Fire, in Vastu, represents light and heat. Southeast is considered the best direction for kitchen. The householder can get into debt if this direction is left unbalanced.
5. Sky (Hindi: Akash): This element occupies the centre of the building. Central part of a building is called Bramhasthanam (literally, the place of the god). This place must be an open area with minimal furnishing and should be kept clean and tidy. There should not be any construction in this area nor should there be any heavy objects. Leaving the Sky element unbalanced could result in ill health of family members.
The eight directions:
There are eight major directions in Vastu. These are explained below in detail. The "center" of a building is considered as the ninth major direction ruled by Bramha himself. The directions and their respective rulers are as explained below. The word in bracket is the hindi translation of the word.
- North (Uttar)- North is ruled by Kubera, the Lord of Wealth. The ruling planet for North direction is Mercury. It is considered as the direction of richness and wealth. It is considered auspicious to place a cash box or safe in this direction for increase in wealth. Hanging mirrors in this direction are also considered auspicious as they help in increasing wealth. A well or an underground water tank in this direction is recommended.
- South (Dakshin)- Yama, the god of death, is said to be the ruler of South. Ruling planet for South is Mars. This direction is considered inauspicious for majority of the activities. It is recommended by Vastu experts to keep this loaded and under heavy weight such as a water tank. It is also considered inauspicious to construct a basement in this direction. According to Vastu, persons staying in houses that face South (main door opening towards South) face problems for around 8 years after moving in.
- East (Purva)- East is considered as the most auspicious direction in Vastu Shastra. This direction is ruled by Lord Indra and Planet Sun. Sun is the supreme source of all energy on earth. Indra is the lord of rain and is prayed throughout India by farmers. Thus a property facing East (main door opening towards East) is considered very auspicious. This direction should be left as open as possible to bring in abundant prosperity and sunlight. Vastu experts also recommend putting up mirrors in this direction to increase wealth. Since morning sunlight is good for physical and mental development, hence this direction should be kept open and free from obstruction.
- West (Paschim)- Varuna, the lord of water, rules this direction along with planet Saturn. From Vastu's standpoint, West is not a vey auspicious direction. It is recommended that there must be no door leading into a house in this direction, especially bigger ones. According to Vastu, one may build a garage, staircases or an overhead tank in this direction. Some experts argue that West is an auspicious direction for women. Since afternoon sun rays contain high proportion of UV rays, hence large amount of sunlight must be avoided from this direction.
- Northeast- Northeast is a direction of extreme purity and divinity. Performing pooja in this direction is considered extremely auspicious. For this reason, placing a mandir (temple) in this direction is recommended by Vastu experts. This direction is ruled by supreme god - Shiva - and planet Jupiter (Brahaspati). The Sun's ultraviolet rays fall in this direction. This direction should be left as empty and free as possible. It is not auspicious to build toilets in this direction as it might bring misery and misfortune.
- Southeast- Lord Agni (Fire) owns this direction along with planet Venus. Agni signifies determination, strength and fame. Performing Homa or Havan is seen as a way of getting blessed with wealth, prosperity and fame by Lord Agni. This is an ideal direction to construct a kitchen. A plot which does not have a Southeast direction is considered very inauspicious.
- Northwest- Vayu, the God of Wind, along with Moon owns this direction. Lord Maruthi (Hanuman), son of Vayu, is also symbolic of this direction. This is the direction of wind and thus denotes movement. Any tall structures should be avoided in this direction. This direction plays an extremely important role in relationships, both within and outside of one's family.
- Southwest- The lord of demons, Nairutti, is the ruler of this direction. Thus it is considered as the direction of demons. It is considered to be extremely inauspicious if the main door of a house opens in this direction. Also ruled by planer Rahu, the space in this direction must be filled with heavy objects to bring down the negativity coming from this direction.
- Center- Center of a house or a building is called Bramhasthan (the house of Bramha). According to Hindu mythology, Bramha is the creator of all life on earth. There should be no construction in this area. Neither should any heavy objects be placed here. The center portion should be left vacant and open, free from any pillars. According to Vastu, the energy flows from the center to the rest of the house. Any construction or obstruction in the center of the house, disrupts the energy flow.
1. ApnaGhar provides professional Vastu Consultancy to make your dream home Vastu Compliant.
2. All the designs prepared by Apnaghar adhere to standard Vastu practices. You can explore our Gallery of Vastu Compliant House Designs.
3. Want to choose colours for your house interiors as per Vastu. Read our blog article.
- General Vastu Guidelies
Vaastu shastra (vastu design, vastu design Indian homes) provides us with the guidelines for all the processes from the selection of site to the construction of building along with orientation of rooms and the restrictions or pssage of various natural elements like light, winds etc. This in turn is related to enhanced health, wealth, prosperity , success and happiness.
You may not wish to be entertaining your guests all the time they are with you, and it’s essential that they think they have someplace to go away for a little personal relaxing time. A relaxed chair and ottoman are just the answer. Even a small slipper chair and stool will do the technique, and your guest will have a silent place to be on their own.
The growth in the income pattern of the urban population and the resultant improvements in the standard of living have been the driving factors for home owners to go for better amenities and interior designs suiting individual lifestyles during construction or renovation of homes.
Stair building techniques have not changed much over the years, but with the advancement of stricter local building codes in current years it has become really an accurate science. Many places have enacted ordinances that should be adhered to in order to pass the house framing inspection.
- Pooja Room
In almost all of the Indian Hindu Homes, a separate room is maintained for " Pooja " or praying. This room is known as the "Pooja Room" and in this room, the deities and the lord's Idols are maintained. Pooja rooms are designed with these idols in silver or chrome frames, with many flowers and miniature jewelry or simply idols are colored in beautiful colors and are created of clay.
Rooms for dining in a home vary depending on the dining routines of the occupants. The consuming areas may be a cozy alcove or it could be a breakfast nook that is start to the kitchen. In other conditions, the dining room may be a huge and official space. You are subject to discover at least one of these spaces in the regular home. Larger homes may include dining features in all of these areas.
- Living Room
Every house owner wants to have a living room that would both be very comfortable for the family members to relax in on a consistent basis but that would also create a excellent and long lasting impact on visitors who come to visit. It's not actually difficult to complete this since there are tons of gorgeous and relaxed options
- Water level & direction of fixtures
The water-supply technique of a building distributes water to plumbing fixtures at points of use. Direction of fixtures involves kitchen sinks, water closets, urinals, bathtubs, showers, lavatories, drinking fountains, laundry trays, and slop (service) sinks.